Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Remembering Ivan and meeting his older daughter

Posted: 26 July 2017
Updated: 1 Aug 17




Devon and friend at Yosemite in June 2017

Devon, 23



Ivan would have been 56 today (his favorite day of the year), had he not suddenly left us 21 years ago, leaving the family in a state of shock. Nevertheless, over the years since, we have recovered and made peace with the reality of his untimely loss. 


Ivan on Family Wall (age 35)
What none of us knew at that time was that Ivan had produced at least two children, the oldest of which is Devon, now 28, whom I met for the first time face-to-face last month (June 18). Since she worked nearby, Devon picked me up at the Long Beach airport and drove me to the hotel in Anaheim where I was scheduled to present a dream workshop at the annual IASD conference

She and I met again the following evening to get better acquainted and she revealed to me some surprising and heart-warming information about her birth father, whose name she did not yet know until age 23 when her adoptive mother showed her his obit and she found me on the internet. She was 12 years old (2001) when she began to feel her father's influence as a protecting presence. As she told me this I had a rush, such as I often do when the truth has been spoken. She also had a similar rush in the telling and we compared goose bumps.

                             

No comments: