Sunday, July 16, 2017

Friend Bill is gone.



Professor William D. Romey

Posted: 16 July 2017
Updated: 20 Jul 17

When his regular monthly newsletters to friends and family ceased to arrive like clockwork on the first or second day of the month for the past five years, I feared something had happened. It had. My old friend Bill had passed on June 3, surrounded by loving family members who had gathered from here and abroad to say goodbye.

I first became aware of Bill when I received a note from him in 1959 during undergrad years in the School of Engineering at Berkeley. It had these simple words: "You don't know me, but I know you. You were great 'over there'. Regards, Bill Romey."

The note shocked and distressed me, since I sensed this guy was referring to a clandestine military operation I'd been in during the Cold War. But I did not know this name and had been ordered to secrecy about the operation for 20 years. So, I never responded to him, but never forgot the note nor the name.

It wasn't until the spring of 2012 that Bill and I met on the phone and became fast friends. Click here for my earlier account of meeting my esteemed friend.

No comments: